Saturday, March 3, 2012

Mangos

So, I realize I haven't posted in a long time.  Therefore, a completely random subject.

Mangos.

I've started doing Bountiful Baskets (to learn more, go to bountifulbaskets.org) and both weeks that I've done it I've gotten mangos.  I was excited because I've never really tried mangos before.  Here are my observations:
1.  Apparently you're not supposed to eat the skin, because it's really thick and leathery.
2.  Although there's no pit (like in a peach), there is a definite core in a mango, and it's as hard as a pit.
3.  Mangos have a surprisingly creamy taste, while still being vibrant and, for lack of a better word, they taste the way the color green looks.
4.  Sometimes, as I'm eating them, I get the overwhelming scent of freshly mown hay.

Now that we've covered the basics, I have to wonder why some mangos are to-die-for good while others make me want to gag.  Could it possibly be that the gag ones are not ripe?

So I searched to find out how to tell if a mango is ripe.  On the site I ended up on, I noticed immediately that "the skin of a mango is considered inedible."  Should I get a bonus point for knowing that, or lose a point for actually trying to eat something inedible?

Continuing on, I read:  "Because mangos come in a rainbow of reds, yellows, oranges, and greens, color is not the best way to determine ripeness.  Sniff for a fragrant fruity odor at the stem end, or squeeze very gently to detect a firm yet yielding feel under your fingers."

Huh?

My mango is mushy.  Is that good or bad?  How am I supposed to know if my mango is meant to be green?  Or yellow?  Or purple with pink polka dots?

I've come to the conclusion that I'm not smart enough for mangos.  Therefore, I will stagger blindly into the kitchen and eat my (possibly) ripe Bountiful Baskets mango.

Pray for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment