Monday, January 14, 2013

Proof I'm Not Perfect

Now, as hard as it may be to believe it, I'm not perfect.  I can understand why you would think I am (heck, just look at this blog), but I'm not.  I'm selfish, I exaggerate, I make small children cry.  But one of my favorite foibles is my ability to judge people incorrectly.  Let me elaborate.

I just got back from my first music class of the year.  Last year, I taught music in my local elementary school, for free, from October to May for the 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades and prepared the kids to perform twice.  All in all, the experience left something to be desired.  After all, dissolving into tears and blubbering in front of the principal wasn't on my to-do list that day.  Hence, I haven't exactly been waiting with baited breath for music to start up again.

I went to the elementary, and the first two classes didn't show (I'm only teaching 4th grade this year, in protest of the junkiness of life).  I got all ticked and erased the board and put everything away, ready to go home.  Just as I went to get my coat, the third class showed up.  The teacher apologized, then said that things were crazy with the standardized testing going on.

Oh.

That.

Yes, someone should have told me that MAP testing was going on, so I could have stayed home with Fay (who was completely heartbroken that I went bye-bye without her), but of all the excuses in the world as to why the teachers and their classes didn't show up, that's the one that I would accept, no question.

Stupid judgy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment